28 January 2009

My Alma Mata Was Books -- Malcom X

A white square of painted side walk.  Malcolm X is written in a blue box.  On the white background in various fonts is the following quote: Books were my Alma Mata, a good library.  I could spend the rest of my life reading just to satisfy my curiosity. This is another quote painted near the library. This is actually painted right next to the library at the corner of 8th and E, San Diego CA 92101. The quote is from Malcom X and reads "Books where my Alma Mata, a good library. I could spend the rest of my life reading just to satisfy my curiosity." The quote is badly worn. I hope that they repaint it soon as it is the perfect sentiment for a library. I would very much recommend that every one read The Autobiography of Malcolm X: As Told to Alex Haley. It is one of the greatest if not greatest American biographies. Please do not watch Spike Lee's Malcolm X. It is a misogynistic travesty which cheapens Malcolm X's memory. Also, if you write a book report or take a test on the book by just watching Spike Lee's Movie you will surely fail. The inspiration for the movie was Spike Lee's incredible ego, not the book or Malcolm X's work which he obviously believed was not as good as the lies which I suppose represent Malcolm X's life the way Spike Lee thought it should have been..




No comments: